Sunday, January 16, 2011

Books

The Latehomecomer: A Hmong Family Memoir- Along with really enjoying this book I learned a lot about myself and my heritage. Although I'm not of Hmong descent their story is like my families and like millions of others. I am of Chinese/Vietnamese culture and heritage but the struggles and stories portrayed in this book happened to my family as well, for the most part. This book tracks the adventures of a family all over Asia as well as in America and their time assimilating to this new land. At times the book made me very emotional and surprisingly made me cry. The book is written beautifully from the point of view of a young girl.

One Day- One day was a book about a friendship of two people who eventually fell in love with each other. Each chapter is documented and represented as one year. I really enjoyed this book because it gave me perspective of what love is about & life. It really made me think, thats what I really like about books and movies. If a book makes me question and think about the realities of something then I would declare it a good book. It made me question many things inluding love, success and friendship. The book also made me feel my heart crack a little. The book is so good that it brings up mixed emotions. While reading it, it hurts my heart because of all the suffering but at the same time its so good that it makes me want to keep reading it.

Memoirs Of A Geisha: I enjoyed this book a lot. This book didn't make me think too much or make me question anything but it was a very fun and easy read. I read this book and enjoyed it very much because at that point I was very interested in geishas. It immersed me in the life and style of geisha in a story like account versus just shooting facts at me. For the most part I do feel that it demonstrated the life and struggles of geisha quite accurately. I also read this book before the movie came out so I could fully understand the movie and I'm glad that I did.

1 comment:

  1. Books can bring on powerful emotional reactions. Your books sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete